A mother has been left in agony after she was injected with strong disinfectant directly into her nervous system. This happened in Sweden at Skåne University hospital in Sweden on the morning of 26th July. According to the Daily Mail, the epidural solution was swapped by mistake for chlorhexidine which is usually used for disinfecting medical instruments. The woman stayed in hospital nearly 2 weeks after giving birth and has only been discharged today. According to her husband, the new mum is in constant pain which she described as, ‘jolts of electricity.
According to DM, this is not the first time an Epidural has gone wrong. They report a woman in Australia was left paralysed from the waist down after suffering nerve damage in 2011.
This is scary stuff as Epidural is already a complex procedure but at the same time we live in society where there is always something offered (i have nothing against people’s choices of pain relief) but after reading this i shall be encouraging myself and other mums to always try the most natural and less invasive option. We do not now what this woman’s situation was so it is not for me to judge so i hope and pray she recovers with no lasting damage Amen! It is well and easy to say because each birth is different and different pain relief work for different woman. For example, someone once told me to opt for gas an air because it causes some to feel as if floating on air but for me it did not work and i certainly did not feel like i was floating on air.
Medical staff and doctors do have to take better care and i pray this does not happen again to someone else. Also if your a believer you have an advantage in the power of prayer that as you go through birth and delivery, Jesus will be with you and will make everything go well and in your favor.